Airports & Flights
The Eagle County Airport, only 40 minutes from Vail, Colorado, gives you easy access to the town and to the outdoor recreation all year round in this Rocky Mountain paradise. Denver International Airport is convenient to all Rocky Mountain destinations, including Vail, and is the fifth busiest airport in the US, with numerous connections nationally and internationally.
- The Vail / Eagle County Airport (EGE) is 40 minutes away from town.
- Denver International Airport (DEN) is 2 hours from Vail.
Vail/Eagle County Airport
Only a short drive from Vail, the Vail / Eagle County Airport provides a convenient way to get into the middle of the action. It’s the best way to avoid traffic and long drives.
- Airport Code: EGE
- Location: Eagle County Regional Airport is located thirty miles west of Vail, off of US Highway 6. To get to Vail from the airport, you get onto I-70 East and take the Vail exit, #176.
Vail flights are generally through the winter season (unless otherwise noted). The following airlines serve this Eagle County Airport:
American Airlines has non-stop service to Chicago/O’Hare, Miami, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas/Ft. Worth.
Continental Airlines has non-stop service to Houston.
Delta Airlines has non-stop service to Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Cincinnati, Detroit.
United Airlines has year-round service to Denver.
- Airport Services: Vail, Colorado Airport is small but still offers a wide variety of amenities. There are two main eateries, a tavern and a gift shop. Kids have the option to play games in the terminal and you can log on to the Internet with free wireless available.
- Getting To/From the Airport:
You’ll find ground transportation at the airport so you can reach Vail in short order. There are taxis, shuttles and limos, with competitive pricing.
Renting a car can be more cost efficient as well as giving you more freedom on your vacation. You’ll find all major car rental agencies right at the airport, including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz and National.
Denver International Airport
- Airport Code: DEN
- Location: Denver International Airport is thirty-five minutes from downtown Denver. To get to Vail from the airport, get on I-70 West and travel for 120 miles to the Vail exit 176. It takes a little over 2 hours.
All major airlines, both nationally and internationally, fly into and out of Denver. You’ll find connections from nearly every part of the world.
- Airport Services: With such a large airport, you’ll find everything you need only a few steps away. Grab a meal in any one of the numerous restaurants and eateries. Snacks can consist of ice cream, pretzels, sandwiches or yogurt. There are plenty of lounges, too, where you can get a mixed drink or beer. Denver International also offers many shops, boutiques and galleries. Need to mail that last minute gift? There’s a post office here as well. Browse the changing art displays with some amazing murals and sculptures.
- Getting To/From the Airport:
- When arriving in Denver and planning to spend the night there before traveling into the Rockies, you can find a number of hotels to choose from, and many of these offer courtesy shuttles to your lodging. Grab a taxi if you can’t get a shuttle. The prices for taxis vary depending on what part of the city you are headed for.
- If going on directly to Vail, you can either get a connection at the airport that will take you to Eagle County Regional Airport, near Vail, or you can rent a car at the airport and drive into the Rocky Mountains. This latter is probably the most cost effective way to travel, as you can then get around to see the sights on your own. You will find all major car rentals right at the airport.
- Of course, going in true style can be a lot of fun. Try the shuttles or limos. Prices for some shuttles are around $87 per person, and vans and limos (for larger numbers of people) can range from $250 to $300 and up.
and Travel Updates